From:
Joan Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 23:43:36 -0400
>On the same thought about thawing BM--why would it be bad to thaw
>BM in the refrigerator if you can leave it fresh for 6-10 hours
>at room temp and have it's antibacterial qualities protect it?
>Pat Bucknell
>Avon Lake, OH

Pat,

It's my understanding that the antibacterial properties of breastmilk
which prevent spoiling are a result of active macrophages which actually
phagocytize bacteria on contact.  From some of the articles I have read on
spoiling of milk, it sounds to me that the WBC's are active for around 6
hours after pumping when the milk is at room temp., because the bacterial
content of the container was reduced in the 1st 6 hours.  After that
bacterial colonies increased.

I think that refrigeration probably slows the activity of the WBC's but also
prevents rapid growth of bacteria. With Moms pumping for babies in NICU I
always tell them to make sure their babies get fresh-pumped unrefrigerated
milk whenever it's possible so the babies get the maximum benefit of
macrophage activity on any bacteria lurking in their GI tracts!

I don't believe there would be any macrophage activity following freezing,
so although antibodies and nutrients are still there, you are no
longer dealing with a living tissue that has instant bacteria-fighting
qualities.

--
******Joan M. Fisher, RN, BN, MEd, IBCLC******
***********Ottawa, Ontario, Canada************