Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:31:05 +0200
To Karen Wilson and all,
I hear the frustration in your voice, and you are right = it is frustrating
to think that nature knows more than we do, and that things are contrary to
what we learned,
but should it be frustrating?

I don't think so. Our profession is one that teaches us from year to year,
that we do not hold all the answers in our bag of tricks. I am guessing that
you are new to the profession, or I am just senile, but I haven't seen your
name back when.......on this list.

I just want to mention to you and all those who are relatively new, that
those of us who have been practicing for many years, have seen and heard
"them" all. All of the great names in the world of lactation, have spoken at
various conferences, special gatherings both in the USA and abroad. We
gobble up all the new literature.
We DO learn new things from each and every one of them, even when we have
heard the same speakers time and time again. WE know there is always more to
learn. But what we also know is that the truly great practitioners are still
learning. We all learn from every dyad new things which often come from
those mothers whom we are assisting. Long ago, I stopped believing that all
the "who's who" know MY mothers better than I, myself, being the one
observing and councelling. Just as I try to tell my moms that they know
their babies better than anyone else, thus should not always assume that
anyone else knows better regarding the baby's cues and daily habits, we also
know our moms best. We take all of what we learned from everyone, and then
some, and apply it to our moms, and when from our experience we learned
something new, we add that to our bag. We can't always go by the book,
because the "book" has not yet been finished and there will always be more.

some feel the cross cradle hold is the bane of society, and some say ONLY
the cross cradle can answer the needs of a good latch. I don't believe
either of these to be true. I follow my instincts to think that "nature"
would be best, the cradle hold SHOULD work for all, but I can't sit back and
see a mom struggling with a screaming babe in arms, after a few initial
tries, and will then suggest something else. Mom knows best, how she is
comfortable and what will enable her to carry on without getting despondent
and just give up.
Our experience is what enables us to see how SHE is reacting to what we
suggest.

So, be happy that you are learning this, and that another LC came up with it
in order to help this mom. That is the beauty of our profession, we are
always learning. Alot of this learning comes from sharing.

Sincerely,
Ellen Shein, IBCLC, LLLI
Tel Aviv