From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:30:42 -0500
Dear Karen Q and all,
      Interesting post on Mom's comments about thinking they have messed
up breastfeeding for good because baby received a bottle with a small
amount of formula during the night on PPday 1 or 2.  This week at least 3
sets of parents mentioned this to me with fear and trepidation!
    On one hand I am glad they  have learned about nipple
confusion/preference, but sad to see such anxiety.  I reassure them that
if the baby has had a handful of good feedings at the breast, usually an
occasional bottle with one ounce or so of formula won't do any harm.
Please don't jump on me about  "just one bottle"......they have already
done it!  I also add that when mother's milk comes in more plentifully
(approx. 72 hours post delivery),  baby will be more satisfied.  Some of
these moms had cluster fed for 3-4 hours during the night with no end in
sight,  the night nurse KINDLY suggested half ounce of formula perhaps,
and mom, dad, and baby got 3 hours of sleep.  Our staff nurses usually
finger-feed, but sometimes use bottles.  The bottle is not the enemy, it
is designed to feed a baby safely.
   In 18 years as a pp nurse, I have not seen nipple confusion with a
bottle or two AFTER baby has imprinted on the breast.  I have often spent
45 minutes at the bedside coaxing a baby to latch on if baby had received
bottles first.
    When I get to the part of our  routine LC teaching about no
supplements the first 2-4 weeks so baby learns to breastfeed well and
stimulate a plentiful milk supply, I usually add there is room for
parental choice and usually an occasional bottle of ebm or abm doesn't do
any harm.  I work at an inner-city hospital, and bottles are a fact of
life for many if not most of our patients.
    The staff nurses have told me about some parent's NEGATIVE reactions
and comments after being seen by 2 of the LCs on our staff who stress no
bottles, no supps X 2-4 weeks.  One parent said if all she knew about
breastfeeding was from that visit,  she would not do it.
   Most parents are comfortable with bottles.  I recall two sets of
parents with whom we LCs spent lots of time teaching and supporting
finger feeding for their babies, and on the 2 day call back, they are
pumping and bottle feeding and baby's intake is better.  Then we work
with them on getting baby on breast gradually.
   Good night, all.
   Susan P   rn ibclc Minnesota