From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 21:04:19 -0500
Milk coming out of the baby's nose like this is not normal. Here is my
take: Something is wrong with the baby's oral anatomy that swallowing
sends milk up the nose. The milk residue left in the nose is why baby
sounds congested. It could be that baby aspirates with every feeding but
it is only noticeable with the side laying position. I would suggest a
video flourescent suck swallow (VFSS in case I don't spell that right)
study by an SLP or OT experienced with babies. This test is a bottle of
barium given while baby is x-rayed and videotaped. You can see where the
milk is going, up or down or sideways! (a joke).

I would also be very hesitant to use formula as human milk going up the
nose is more benign but formula is very caustic and I would assume baby
aspirates on the bottle also. Aspiration can be silent. It can be the
always sick baby with lots of colds or upper respiratory infections who
is bottle fed formula. Everything can be fairly normal until baby is
weaned to formula at which time the colds, etc. start up and never get
better.

My allergic son was always congested sounding until I removed milk/diet,
wheat, eggs out of my diet and we found a new home for the cat. But he
never had milk coming out of his nose like this. He spit up quite a lot
until the dairy was out of my diet.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC