From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:15:45 -0700
We use beanie babies - the Ty name brand. We had a Beanie Baby Drive
mentioned in one small newspaper article, and they started filling our
office. Church groups and families cleaning out their closets. They
appeared to multiply like Tribbles (reference: Star Trek on TV). We were
literally knee-deep in Beanies. We cut off the Ty tags (devalues them for
eager collectors and not good for babies), bagged them for Central Sterile,
and stored them under lock & key. Every NICU baby gets 1-3 beanies for
nesting and stabilizing purposes (a NICU Developmental thing) and to help
control and camoflage tubes/lines/wires. Makes the bed look more 'homey'.
Parents love it. The beanies go home with that baby. "Twin Beanies" go to
twins, of course. Angel beanies go to babies who don't, or knowingly will
not survive. Non-Ty brand beanies usually don't do well in sterilizing.
Their innards turn into rocks. Even 4 years after that initial Beanie
Drive, we get occasional bags and boxes of Beanies. The word is still out
there. I've seen moms holding baby and Beanie together in the NICU.

Those "hands" look like they are out of a Sci-Fi movie! Creepy.... There
was this old B&W Peter Lorrie movie about a hand....

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ

> Seriouslythough, I can see some use for this item in NICUs when no one is
available to actually touch baby, as long as it isn't an excuse to keep
parents from holding or touching.  I can see some occasional what I might
consider "legitimate" uses at home, but I fear it could become just like
the car seats-definitely useful and necessary in the car, but how often do
we see it used far beyond that to the detriment of babies.