From:
Joanne Whistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 07:24:10 -0400
Hi,

I don't know about the hysterectomy, but I had a prolapse repair 8m pp whilst breastfeeding twins (anterior repair with mesh and sacrospinous colpopexy). The consultant was very ignorant about bf generally, but correctly said that low oestrogen can be associated with poor vaginal healing. I reasoned that plenty of women have vaginal tears repaired after birth and breastfeed and heal just fine. Also, many prolapse repairs (and hysterectomies, for that matter) are done on post-menopausal women, who also have low oestrogen levels.

My consultant initially advised me to give up bf before the surgery, but after researching the risks / benefits myself I told him I was making an informed choice to continue bf and have the surgery. It was at that point that he told me he'd "never operated on a lactating woman". I think his initial recommendation was largely based on his lack of experience with operating on lactating women and him being out of his comfort zone.

I mostly healed well, but did have a persistently sore area on my perineum which I was finding distressing. Again after researching thoroughly I used topical oestrogen cream. I was very cautious about the amount and frequency of application as I know it is absorbed well through the skin and could have impacted on my milk supply. After only about 3 applications, each a few days apart, the sore area completely resolved with no discernable impact on my milk supply. I am still feeding my 2yo twins.

I think the reasons for the recommendation not to BF need unpicking. When is the surgery proposed for? When baby is some months old? At birth? I was told I'd have to wait until at least 6 months after the birth to have the prolapse surgery - but perhaps the need for the hysterectomy is urgent? If the op is planned for when the babe is older, the hormone levels are likely to be less clinically significant I would have thought.

I hope this helps.

Joanne