From:
Cheryl Parrott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:53:51 EST
Patent Ductus Arterious....causes some small shunting and quick fatigue while
feeding.  basically.  Surgery is very simple, call it PA banding, literally
go in and "band" the artery to close it up, so now more shunting.  The
problem with a pda is, it is commonly associated with a more serious heart
defect, and leaving the ductus open is natures way of allowing a sick heart
to try to function normally.  So they need to be sure to do echo to evaluate
the heart.  As for treatment,  I would not be sure, I am sure our NICU nurses
and LC's could give better info.  Opitimize energy and maintain O2 sats etc.

Cheryl Parrott, RN, BSN, aspiring IBCLC, most importantly mom to Lexie-22
months and Rachel-angel baby--a nurse in the pediatrice ICU at Riley
Childrens for 2 years in my pre-mom life!
Kokomo, IN