Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:37:28 EDT
Sarah's daughter wrote from her Israeli nursing school that

<< they believe that additives such as vitamins A, D and C (in the
 form of mashed fruit) should be added at 1 month!  Not to mention iron,
 protein and vegetables, also staring at ridiculously young ages. >>

When I was interviewing caregivers for my first child, then three months old,
I hoped for a while to find a Hebrew speaker (since we speak Hebrew to our
kids).  Of course with all the people we interviewed one of the first topics
we discussed was that Avital was exclusively bf, and that when I started back
to work she would still be getting my milk and nothing else for several more
months.

All of the Israeli women who had any childcare experience (mothers, nurses,
one who had worked in a kibbutz baby-house, that now-defunct institution) all
exclaimed in horror, "Oh no!  You are wrong!  A baby her age needs to get
mashed tomato every day!"

I was wrong??!!   Suffice it to say that Avital got a wonderful Caribbean
babysitter who had been bf herself until she was 3 years old...

Elisheva Urbas
NYC