Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:18:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Thank you Jean - so true. I am shocked that the moms I see for the first time postpartum - hardly touch their breasts! It seems they are not taught or shown how to use their hands therapeutically.  Touching the breast, becoming familiar with them as a dynamic organ is a foreign concept which is a shame. This is so necessary for the health of the breast in regards to blood flow, lymphatic drainage and milk flow, not to mention for breast CA screening.

I spend plenty of time on RPS and breast massage/compression during my prenatal bf classes and involve the husbands this way as " breast massage therapists" 
( which they are more than happy to be) using these techniques from day one. Also I am big on teaching hand expression as an alternative to pumping for relief.

I see a lot of people and have a very low incidence of mastitis and/or plugged ducts by keeping it simple - "Follow your baby, Feel your breasts -  don't ignore either one"  Mothers would be better served if taught these techniques prior to delivery and then reinforcing these skills in the hospital.  It would avoid a lot of undue angst once they get home.

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2