Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:37:07 +0000
>EXCELLENT report by Jennifer Tryon!!! Lactation consultants have been
>"mopping up" from epidural births for years, and this study might be the
>"smoking gun" we've been looking for.
>

>Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Well.....I dunno. There are countries - such as Scandinavia - where
the epidural rate is very high and where women manage to breastfeed
far longer-term than practically everywhere else in the West.

That doesn't mean they don't have problems, of course, but I wonder
if our bf supporter colleagues in Scandinavia feel they experience a
physiological difference.

Maybe the way the epidural is given or the drug used is different.

I can't say I have noticed a link between epidural use and not bf
myself but I am not looking very hard, I suppose. I tend not to ask
mothers about their birth experience unless it is very early days or
I think there is still some reason why it might be impacting on the
bf.

I do notice (I think) a greater motivation to bf among women who try
to avoid medicalising their birth experience and that would include
preferring not to have an epidural in many cases.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK