From:
Cee Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 07:58:47 -0700
Cindy, that is awesome... you brought tears to my eyes!

  Cee

Cindy Curtis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I just have to tell you'll what happened at work this week.

We are a small community hospital and we do all of our c sections in the
main OR and they go to recovery room afterwards while baby goes to the
nursery. We have progressed over the last year for mom to get to keep baby
in the OR for some time after the birth instead of an immediate whisk away
to the nursery, I have been trying off and on to get it approved (isn't it a
shame it has to even be approved) for moms to nurse on the OR table......

WELLLLLL

the other day baby was born and healthy, at about 3 minutes of age baby
wrapped and took to head of the bed to see mom and dad, and he was rooting
like crazy, the CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist) said he looks hungry, and I said
yes he does and the mom said can I nurse him...... in the past we haven't
tried this because of opposition met form OR staff, any way the CRNA said
yeah nurse him , and I looked at her and she said go for it, I asked the doc
and he said sure...... so we put baby to breast and in a few minutes time he
latched on laying on his tummy across the top of moms chest. He nursed and
nursed, then when it was time to transfer her from the OR table to the bed,
I held onto him and the OR crew slid her over, her never let go and he
stayed attached all the way to the recovery room, I accompanied her there,
the Recovery room nurse was cool with the baby being there, and we brought
mom and baby back to her post partum room together and the only time he let
go was when we hit a bump in the tiles but he got himself right back on.....

He continued to nurse in the room, and when he was done we did all of the
bath and admission stuff right in the postpartum room.... I don't know who
was happier, me or the family!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully this will be the beginning
of a new trend in our unit!

Just had to share this happy event with you!

Cindy

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com