From:
Deborah V Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:24:02 -0800
I do not know specific information about the weight loss pills that the
mom wanted to take.  However, after reading the post by Chris that they
were mostly fiber, and re-reading the directions on how mom was
supposed to take them (4 capsules, 3 x a day with meals, with a glass of
water before and a glass of water after) I couldn't help but think....  Tell
the mom to save her money.  Eat an apple and drink two glasses of
water before each meal and I would guess she would get the same
effect - she'll be so full she'll eat less food.

I know we live in a "quick-fix" culture, but healthy weight loss does not
have a quick-fix solution.  I would encourage her instead to look at
lifestyle changes that she can practice for the *rest of her life* and that
will enable her body to attain and then maintain a healthy weight (defined
by her body, not by society) - a healthy low fat diet, rich in whole foods,
whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables; lots of water; regular
exercise; spiritual and mental health.  This would also be good modeling
for her child(ren).

Just a small soapbox -
Debi VanderMey Barr, MS, RD, LD
Portland, Oregon