From:
Heidi Streufert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:51:11 -0400
Hello Lactnetters,

I'm trying to find an IBCLC in the Panama City, Florida area (once the
threat of hurricane is past) for a mom with an infant who has multiple
birth defects including (please forgive my spellings) laryngularmalacia,
arterialseptal defect, apnea, and extreme reflux. This baby has been
breastfeeding since birth and mom has had very little support at all. She
has been seen by a lactation consultant (not board certified as far as I
understand) who did not have the expertise to help this mom and babe. He
has been having a lot of trouble breathing while nursing and as of this
week is barely eating at all-- mostly goes to breast and then sits with a
weak latch, gets very frustrated, lets go and sucks his thumb. Then he
cries, since the poor little guy is hungry. He also "spits up most of what
he eats" because of the severe reflux. The LC suggested giving him ABM
mixed with rice cereal. I'm not clear on what method she wanted mom to
supplement, since the mother had asked about an SNS and the LC "had never
heard of it."

I am passing this info along for one of my moms at LLL. This is her
sister, and I definitely think she needs someone with experience with a
baby with these conditions if possible, but at this point ANY support
would be better than what she is getting. I'm most concerned that the mom
reports that the baby seems to have more trouble as time goes on.

If anyone is practicing in the Panama City area (Peds, IBCLC, experienced
LLLL) please contact me and I will pass along your name to Kelly so she
can contact her sister when the hurricane has moved on.

I am leaving for S. Florida myself tomorrow and will not be back for 9
days so please send messages to me directly as I will occasionally check
my email but am going N*MAIL on my lists.

Thanks you in advance,

Heidi Streufert, LLLL
Gaithersburg, MD