From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:01:09 -0500
I can definitely imagine situations where one's mother's negative comments
could affect supply.  If prior to grandma coming, the breastfeeding mother
was offering the breast on cue, not looking at the clock, and simply letting
the baby drive her supply, she probably developed a normal initial milk
supply.  Then grandma comes, and suddenly every time mom turns around she
hears "What?  Are you going to nurse him AGAIN? It's only been 45 minutes!"
 "Is he still nursing, he's been on 25 minutes already?"  "He's crying
again!  Didn't you just feed him?"  "How many times did he get up last
night?  You kids slept 8 hours right after you came home from the hospital!"
 And so in order to avoid hearing these comments, the mom starts to try to
hold the baby off, or shorten his feeds, or offer him a pacifier at night.
Unconsiously, feeds are spaced out, shortened, or skipped, and any time baby
appears hungry or unsettled, formula is offered.  It isn't long before
supply takes a significant hit.
I've had this experience personally with my first, where my parents were
convinced I couldn't make enough milk for a baby (I was a flat-chested 17
year old when I gave birth the first time.)  I distinctly remember times
when I knew if I was alone with him, I'd be offering the breast, but since
the skeptics were right there, I'd try anything else instead.  Fortunately
in my case, my parents went back to work pretty quickly and I went back to
following my baby's cues.  I've always been someone who needs to nurse
frequently to produce enough milk and not following my baby's lead would
have definitely jeopardized my supply in a big hurry.
(The good news is that my mom is now a huge breastfeeding advodate 16 1/2
years later!  She thinks it's wonderful that all of her grandchildren have
been breastfed and talks it up to anyone who will listen.)
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including my toddler nursling Caroline Rose