From:
Susan Smylie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 18:23:13 -0500
Hi, I am a new LLLL, new to Lactnet.  I find the wealth of information here
incredible.  I live in San Antonio, TX with my husband and two sons, Galen
(almost 3 years) and Harlan (almost 6 weeks).

specific information on this specific condition, but am always concerned when
a woman is immediately told that her medical condition is due to her extended
nursing.  I have known of two women in the last year who have been told this;
both were basically dismissed by their health care providers, with little
follow-up provided, when they refused to wean.  The first was eventually
found to have an ectoptic pregnancy, after 3 months of continuous bleeding!
All of which was blamed on her nursing her 16 month old!  She required
emergency surgery once the condition was properly diagnosed.  So, my advise
is for this Mom to get the doctors to "prove" to her that the nursing is
causing the problem by eliminating other causes. Also, they should be able to
show her the research that indicates that nursing causes this problem.  Throw
the ball back in their court.

Susan Smylie, in HOT San Antonio (AC is running right now--anyone who wants
to escape winter, come see us).