From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 18:44:14 -0500
Hi all,

Several years ago, I directed the Chicago Milk Bank for 4 years.  I learned
quite alot from it.  That was before all of the AID problems and the criteria
 to pasteurize all donar milk began.  The milk at the bank was given out on
first come, first serve basis.  Over the years, I had several people get milk
for post op eye surgery.  There was one mother that got milk for her daughter
that had luekemia.  Then, Kathy Auerbach, remember the person that drank
breastmilk for several days for colitis and sure enough was cured
afterwards???  I do know of friends and Drs. that recommend and use
breastmilk for ears, nose, and eyes. (that lysozyme is wonderful)  I agree
with you all that have said caution to those moms that have thrush, or other
infections.  I am sure that people are presently working on bottling
breastmilk up and selling it as a prescription.

As far as the freezing issues go, my 2 cents is--- freezing breastmilk does
break down the fats.  At -70 degrees  C (vs -20 C) enzymatic reactions that
denature fat do not occur.  The deep freezer is -20C.  As stated before, some
milk might have a "soapy"  or a "sour" taste to it, but it is not "bad or
rotten" milk.  I have writen before that depending on mom's diet, what
container she uses for storage, and whether she freezes the milk immediately
or waits for a few days are all factors that contribute to different flavors
in the milk.  On babies that have refused frozen breastmilk and mom has
complained of it smelling and tasting funny, I had her place the milk in
different containers and freezing it for only a few days and still baby
refused milk and odor and smell was the same.  Some babies could care less
and drink any milk.  Others will only drink the milk if it is fresh, 1 day
old.

 There has been much talk recently about the polyethylene bags (soft plastic
bag). In the past, there were only a few companies that had disposable soft
plastic bags for storage of milk in the refrige.  They were not meant ( or
designed) for freezer storage. Because of the convenience of plastic bags,
people began freezing their breastmilk in the bags- disposable bottles,
baggies, etc.  along with the twist ties or the masking tape trick to secure
the top.  Milk banks, including Chicago's, accepted this way of storage.  I
did do bacteriological screening on all milk and screened the mothers.  I
personally have never experienced or heard of any baby that has had a problem
with any storage of milk in a plastic bag and we have been storing milk this
way for over 10 years.  Yes, technology is improving and one breast pump
company designed a collection bag that contains a combination of a
polyethylene and polyester.  The ester protects against oxidation, preventing
freezer burn and what ever else.  It was also designed with a thicker
plastic, decreasing on potential bacteria entering in from puncturing that
occurs with the thinner plastic bags.  Another breast pump company also has
designed a storage bag, specific for freezing breastmilk.  Unfortunately,
there have not been alot of resent studies done on collection, storage, and
freezing of breastmilk and containers.  All studies were done in the '70's
and '80's.  So much I would love to do, but so little time.  The HMBANA
(Human Milk Bank Association of North America) does have guidelines for
collection, storage and handling of breastmilk for HOSPITALIZED infants
available for sale.  Contact :
HMBANA
PO Box 370464
West Hartford, CT  06137-04644

Their recommendations for refrige is 48hrs. (their past guidelines were
72hrs.)  Mother's Milk Bank in San Jose, CA (Maria Teresa Asquith) still uses
72hrs for refrige storage.
In regards to containers, HMBABA does recommend glass for storage of
breastmilk in the freezer.  It is all based on an article I wish everyone
would read!!!!!!!  The article is "Human Milk Banking;  Effects of Container
Upon Immunologic Factors in Mature Milk" by Goldbum, Garza, Johnson, Harrist,
Nichols, and Goldman.  Journal- Nutrition Rresearch, Vol. 1, pp. 449-459,
1981.  Mind you the polyethylene bag they used was
G_________ ( bag at that time was only designed for refrige) .  They found
that IgA antibodies to E. coli decreased in the polyethylene bags by 60%.
 Mind you, the milk was stored only for 24 hrs at 4C degrees which is REFRIGE
temp.  What happens if it is placed in the freezer??? (it's funny how we all
keep talking about using glass for storage in the freezer and yet no study
has shown what happens in a freezer)  How about duration???? To many
variables.  Lots of talk about IgA,  what about lysozyme and lactoferrin and
the other very important components???  In the same study, it was found that
"lysozyme and lactoferrin concentrations fell substantially after storage for
24 hrs. in pyrex (glass) and polypropylene (hard plastic) containers".  "It
was not ascertained whether this was due to adherence of proteins to the
vessel surface, proteolysis, or other mechanisms".  Why is there no talk
about the loss of the other immunological components in glass and hard
plastic????  Again my 2 cents, formula has NONE of these properties and I
would like to support the mother in continuing to give breastmilk to her
infant in whatever container she desires that does not harm the baby.  And
do't forget, there are no published guidelines for normal newborns yet from
HMBANA, they are only for hospitalized infants.
I'll get off my soap box for now.  If anyone has questions, please e-mail me.
 Thanks.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC/The Breastfeeding Connection
754 Raintree Dr
Naperville, IL 60540
(312)420-2172