Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:48:24 +0100
>Nataliya Wilson wrote:
>
> > It is interesting that in the Netherlands they don't administer Rhogham
> > shot during pregnancy (at least the first one).  I am Rh negative and
> > didn't get any shots at all because my son turned out to be Rh neg too.
> > How come procedures differ in different countries?

In the Netherlands we give Rhogam shots to every woman in her first
pregnancy if she is Rh negative. This is a new rule since last year.
1) after an abortion
2) in cases of amniocentesis
3) at about 30 weeks.
4) after delivery of an Rh-positive baby

With consequent pregnancies only after delivery of a Rh-positive child.

Some people are a bit surprised by this new rule of giving the shot already
at 30 weeks, even if there is no evidence of anti-bodies yet in the woman's
blood. They wonder how it is possible to hand out these injections in such
a liberal manner, when there seems to be a growing shortage of donors, who
have to produce the particular immuno-globine. However, efforts to turn the
breech presentations into vertical positions can still be expected in the
latter part of the pregnancy, not to mention cases of premature loosening
of the placenta. These incidents could provoke sensitization of the woman
by her possible Rh-positive fetus. In this country, the injections are free
of costs to the women.
Gre Keijzer, midwife, LLL-leader