From:
Amy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:17:16 -0700
Rose:
Regarding establishging a breastfeeding task force:

A while ago, Helen Armstrong (Connecticut, USA) posted a similar message to LactNet.  Here's my response from then.

Our coalition was started in 1997 by a group of individuals who determined that our bf rates (at discharge: 35%!) were just too low.  Our group mainly consists of me (representing Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies), department of public health - maternal child health representatives, WIC (we have two agencies in our county providing services), medi-cal managed care, our three IBCLCs, La Leche League Leader, (unfortunately attendance has been sporadic since there is just ONE!), Medela rep (attends every other meeting - lives in LA!), and our one (!) pediatrician.  We do not have any type of nonprofit status, rather my agency (HMHB) provides accounting and administrative services on behalf of the coalition (I volunteer my services).

We meet monthly to discuss relevant issues occurring both locally and nationally.  We also try to provide trainings on bf topics (hence my posting) that would be beneficial to RNs, dieticians, nutritionists, case managers, etc.  We attempt to keep costs as minimal as possible so that everyone can attend - even offering CEUs at many of our trainings.  We look at it that even if a RN comes only for the 3-4 CEUs we offer (for $10!) - maybe they will come away with some new information.  We usually have about 50 people per training.  We've also created a list of bf resources in our community and send letters to companies/businesses in our area who we have deemed bf friendly (i.e., nursing stations) commending them on these actions.

I see us as very grass-roots but with *big* plans.  Last year the Coalition partnered with my agency to write a Prop 10 (Tobacco-Tax) proposal for CLE training and BF support line.  We were funded $61,500 (a meager sum compared to the other funded projects, but heck! we're thrilled!) for three years.

My recommendation to you is to make a list of EVERYONE who may be in the slightest bit interested in participating in this sort of coalition.  Consider:
All health agencies/clinics in your area (try their health education departments)
All health insurance companies (i.e., blue cross, managed care, etc.)
All birthing hospitals (go to the OB charge nurses)
Any pregnancy/infant-related nonprofits (i.e., March of Dimes, HMHB)
All IBCLCs
All childbirth educators
All pump rental places/persons
Any pump sales representatives that regularly visit your area
Your department of public health - maternal child health division
La Leche League (naturally!)
All agencies providing WIC services
Any teen pregnancy case management programs
Any pediatricians who are pro-bf

I would send everyone a letter encouraging them (and anyone they can think of!) to attend a meeting at a set time & place to discuss the promotion and support of breastfeeding.  Our group started with about 10 really interested individuals but we send meeting notices (we meet monthly - fourth Tuesday of each month at the same location so it's not confusing) to anyone who: 1) expresses any interest and/or 2) attends one of our trainings.  We also invited our local newspaper health reporter to attend the meetings (she's attended twice and written about us twice!).

At the beginning I think you'll find that everyone has their own agenda about what the group will be and do - and it will take a while to find everyone's niche in it all - I can only encourage you to keep the meetings going with a set agenda (set at the previous meeting so everyone has input).

You may also want to have some of the initial tasks of the coalition to be to:
1) write the mission of the coalition (puts everyone on the same page) (I can send you ours if you want)
2) delegate particular jobs/positions to people (i.e., chair, secretary, membership mailing management, etc. - we are rotating ours every six months)
3) assign each member to find another member to join
4) investigate other bf coalitions on the east coast who may be willing to meet with yours for mentoring purposes (unfortunately as much as I'd like to come to Connecticut I can't!)

Our membership has grown to as many as 75, then dwindled to 15, and is currently at 32 so it has it's peaks and valleys.  I think you'll find your natural leaders who attend on a regular basis and work with them!

So I think I've rambled on enough - however please feel free to send me any additional questions you may have!  I'd love to know your progress with this!

Best Wishes!
Amy Smith
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies of Kern County
Bakersfield, CA