From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 10:20:25 -0700
This is one of those situations that inspire me to remind you all to refer
moms to postpartum doulas (who understand breastfeeding). Though a pp doula
is not substitue for a LC, there is nothing like being able to be there from
one breastfeeding session to the next and see what transpires between with
the baby and the mom. Also, mom may have some kind of eating disorders
herself or prior sexual abuse, or could just use some long patient
conversation about the size of baby's stomach, the formula for deciding how
many ounces of milk to give a baby based on her weight, and general newborn
care. It feels like there could be more to this storyand postpartum doulas
are in a great position to observe and give personalized help. Contact CAPPA
NET or DONA.ORG for a pp doula near her if you think she would consider it.

Vicky York, IBCLC, CPD (CAPPA)

Postpartum Care Services

www.spiritone.com/~vmyork/