From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:22:42 -0500
I'll keep this BF related.
I personally am pro-circ but not strongly, not like I'm pro-BF,pro-immunization, or pro-car seats. I do approach doing the circ as cosmetic surgery therefore I dont let it interfere with feeding.
At my hospital babies are circed the day they go home. Since I wont discharge a poor breastfeeder I wont circ him either. I think of it in the direction of "baby needs to eat right now not have cosmetic surgery and since I'm not D/C him he doesnt need circed anyway."
Otherwise I work around the baby's feeding. Example today there were 6 babies in my nursery and two needed circ. I examined the one baby and circed him but told the nurse to send the other out to breastfeed while I circed the first, saw the other babies, wrote notes, talked to the moms then circed the second baby.
I also dont worry a lot about time since feeding. How much could a 23 hour old baby have in his stomach after a breastfeed?
-Rob  (pro-circ but I HATE doing them)