From:
Dennis Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 01:57:57 -0500
I just had to add my own input on the topic.While I had no demerol =
during the 18 hour induction,I had 2 doses of Nubain(Nalbuphine) in my =
IV,,,,,,,yes,it was a hospital birth of which I would do differently =
next time since I now know there is an official birth center in =
Indianapolis. Despite all the precautions and the "timing so that the =
drug wouldn't be administered sooner than 2 hours prior to birth" my son =
had the"relaxation" effects and was in NICU for 5 hours.He was term and =
no other probs except,of course low blood sugar (and formula =
administration which was not given by parental informed consent and =
which I hold as a grudge forever to the institution)
The "relaxation" is a term I have heard another childbirth educator use =
to in my opinion "sugar coat" or side step around the true effects of =
narcotics.    My point here is that perhaps we all metabolize drugs =
differently and depending on the other variables,the effects last longer =
or occur later than the average "2 hours". I strongly agree with Judy =
that whoever tells a mom she's going to/not going to give birth at a =
particular hour is dishonest with reality,having worked in the birthing =
rooms(delivery and labor)for several years.  Onward and upward in 1996.  =
         Denise Ferrell,IBCLC