From:
Jennifer Rushton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:23:53 -0500
I too live in Texas and have many friends on WIC. Two stick out.  The first
one that sticks out most in my mind was my friend who didn't make enough
milk!  After nursing her little boy would finish off a bottle in no time.
Since WIC was giving her formula for free she switched to that.  However WIC
does not provide enough formula to keep up with a baby much less one who
loves to suck, so he must be hungry.  So mom switched to evaporated milk and
karo sryup as she was on a very tight budget and could not afford the
formula if it was not free!  I was shocked to say the least.  My other
friend chose from day one to get the formula instead of the extra food for
herself.  The reasoning was that eventually he would be on formula anyway.
She nursed everywhere but due to lack of education and possiblely vouchers
for ceral and such at a very young age he had a nursing strike at about 4
months so she quit, but no worry as she had been stockpiling formula. Both
of these woman no doubt could have used some great lactation help.
Unfortunately when I knew the one I was not a mom and when I knew the other
one I had a young nursling of my own (my first.)Since then I have been
blessed to become a LLL Leader.  I dropped off a meeting notice today at my
local WIC office so maybe a few of these stories won't repeat.
Jenn;) in Central Texas

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:09:42 -0800, Jonathan & Amy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>In Texas we have WIC (Women, Infants, and Children). WIC gives food to
women, infants, and children who qualify. A friend has WIC and gets free
milk and cheese, I think also cereal and other foods as well. She got extra
food for herself while she was BF her youngest child and then when she went
back to work and decided to use formula for the baby while she was at work,
she got free formula from WIC. If a mother chooses not to BF and she
qualifies for WIC, formula is free.
>If an older child is being malnourished by, let's say, diluting a can of
soup to much...do HCP give free samples of cans of soup to the family? Or,
do they do something else?
>Why would the treatment of a malnourished 8 month old be any different than
the malnourishment of a 4 yr old?