From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:26:50 -0400
And then there's the baby who is convinced that milk comes only
through silicone.  The latest of these, a 2 1/2 week holdout on
breastfeeding, was given his accustomed bottle to suck at first, with
breast hovering nearby.  The bottle was whisked away and the shield
offered at breast.  He spent maybe 5-10 minutes with the shield,
mouthing it, tasting it, considering it, popping it in and out, and
finally sucking on it - badly but happily.  When we pulled the shield
away (easy to do;  he'd undone what I thought was an impeccable taping
job in the first two seconds) he was willing to consider the breast.
And lo and behold, there's milk in *breasts* too!  A whole new world
opened up for him, probably thanks to an extremely brief experience
with the shield, and he had the first truly relaxed feeding he'd ever
had.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY, wishing this story were
really that simple and they rode off into the sunset together nursing
happily...