From:
Dressler-DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:43:31 -0500
Lisa,

Regarding your mom of a 4 month old.  Is she getting less milk when
pumping or is the baby fussy and seeming unsatisfied after feeding or
both? Does she or you feel that the PNS has been adequate for her?  I
had understood that the PNS is not considered to be an appropriate pump
for a mom working full time who doesn't have a well-established milk
supply.  Six weeks could conceivably be on the edge of well-established.
The inadequate pump combined with infrequent nursings over time could
easily put the mom where she is right now.
Has she started her period?
Has she tried pumping one breast while baby nurses on the other and
switching?  Would this combined breast/pump stimulation help for a day
or two to help bump up supply?  Has she tried taking a "milk holiday"
where on a day off she would unplug the phone, put the chores on hold,
and rest and nurse all day.  A day of this sounds good for anyone!
If she is not letting down because of stress, she might consider taking
some time off work.  I can imagine that relaxation suggestions could
begin to seem to work on a weekend, but once the mom went back to work
on Monday her anxiety could go right back up again.
I know this ought to be simple and maybe it isn't, but I thought I'd go
ahead and contribute a couple more simple suggestions.

Diane, LLLL from Vermont
having a warm snow day off school today with temps up from below zero