Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:57:33 +0100
>Does anyone know anything about this organisation or is this another "media
>scare" around World Breastfeeding Week?   David, paediatrics, Trinidad &
>Tobago
>
>LONDON, July 12 (Reuters) - Breast milk in Britain contains a chemical
>>>cocktail of pollutants that exposes babies to higher than recommended
>>>levels of toxic substances, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) said on
>>>Monday.

This has been all over the papers and the radio today and yesterday - and I
think it first appeared on the BBC website about three weeks ago, and there
was something on Lactnet about it a a result.

Fortunately - and this I think is new - the scare has (in every case I have
seen) been reported with a quote from a health professional or from one my
NCT colleagues saying that breast milk is still the healthiest and best
option and giving reasons for this. Like Magda's editorial  quoted from the
Telegraph, there is some scepticism these days and reporters are
challenging scares...at last.

There has been a clear underlying recognition (I think)  that while of
course breast milk should be as safe as possible, we should be aware that
cows milk formula and the water used to make it up may have toxins
in....though this has not always been spelt out.  I really don't think this
scare 'has legs'...wonder if other UK lactnetters agree with my gut
reaction about the response.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK