From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:39:42 EDT

<<
 <<  If the baby was HIV positive, I would recommend against direct feeding at
 the breast, for fear of infecting the mother.   >>
 Jane:

    Why do you say this? As saliva is not considered a mode of transmission..
 Years ago when the scare came from Russia that mother's had been infected by
 nursing their HIV+ babies the Physicians from CDC who had been to Russia felt
 that what were were being told was not what was happening adn they (CDC)
tfelt
 that it was unlikely to pass from nusing infant to mother.

          Patricia >>

Patricia,
I was concerned about sore or cracked nipples the mother might develop while
initiating breastfeeding, or at other times. We also cannot assure the baby
will never have some types of sores in his/her mouth, or fall and cut a lip
and expose the mother with his/her blood.  So saliva was not the only thing I
was thinking of.  I don't presume to be an expert on HIV exposure, but it
would be more dangerous if the mother's skin was not intact from a variety of
reasons that can occur frequently with breastfeeding.  That is very different
from saliva shared with a kiss and intact skin.

Jane