From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:24:08 -0400
Pamela writes:

Our  hospital got books as a "gift" from Abbott Nutrition  written by an
IBCLC  for the American Academy of Pediatrics...on the inside cover it states
"A gift  from Abbott Nutrition"...Abbott nutrition is the makers of
Similac.

~~~ Ah marketing folks are VERY smart. They spend millions on  marketing
campaigns because of the return they can get. 'A gift from Abbott  Nutrition'
notation means the hospital has now promoted a specific  company/ brand of
formula. While wandering through a local store's  Natural Feeding aisle, I
see that it contains breast pumps, bottles and  pacifiers. It used to also
contain formula on the opposite side of the aisle.  Now they have moved the
formula to its own aisle. ( Progress? Dunno, now moms  have to back to the
aisle with the breast pumps to get their bottles... hmmm.)  Oh anyway, but I
digress... so I saw a mom reaching and taking several  containers of powdered
formula, all name brand. I looked at the store brand and  it looked, well,
exactly the same. Same ingredients, same amounts of things, and  even said
"compare to name brand....". So I asked the mom, actually very  interested, how
does a mom choose between the brands and she said "oh this is  what he's
used to ".  I asked how does she decide  between the Name brand and the X
brand ( as I pointed to the store  brand) and she said "oh that's the store
brand" like it's not as  good. I said from looking at the label it has all the
same ingredients  but costs less and again "well that's the store brand."

Research shows that moms can be extremely brand  ( and even  formulation of
the same brand I think) loyal when it comes to formula ( read any  formula
company website's testimonials....) so any subtle mention of a  company name
could mean months and month's worth of VERY highly marked up  product for
each baby. I think I remember also that formula companies ( which  are very
smart, again) learned that mom's who wanted a breastfeeding  relationship,
but switch to formula for whatever reason, end up buying more of  it over
time. They  tend not to start solids or juices, etc as early so the  baby who
now isn't breastfeeding, is consuming more formula over time than a  baby who
is formula fed from birth. Does anyone remember this info? ANyway, if  that
is true, then promoting breastfeeding literature and mentioning a formula
company name can pay off big time.

So: Breastfeeding Books printed by, and with name of, Abbott Nutrition: The
 gift that keeps on giving.
Also, the fact that the AAP accepts this angers even some pediatricians
themselves, like Dr. Jay Gordon's interview in Bottled Up's promo...go Dr.
Jay!

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL