From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 04:17:26 -0700
Listening to the dialogue re: the scope of practice
i'm reminded of the days when we actually had midwives
who knew how to deliver breech babies, had the skills
to save mother and baby from shoulder dystocia
complications, etc.  but the powers that be
effectively muzzled, straight-jacketed and all but
eradicated the profession in the US and now women face
a 30% c-section rate and many of the arts of midwifery
are having to be relearned and reclaimed as women
renew their rights to birth their babies naturally...
In most western countries, birth has become a
pathological procedure rather than the the holistic,
empowering experience that nature took a 1 million
years to perfect...

my point:  i am wary of statements like this:

 "...take myself back to medical school. It would not
be my place to just blatently critize or try and
change the existing structure ..... those of you who
are dissatisfied have the opportunity to get
additional schooling (if you feel the need) or stay
where you are within the framework that will be
designated for you (regardless of the outcome)."

the *frightening* assumption is that medical school is
the "last word" on health care (the same system that
gave us the IUD, frontal lobotomies, and
hysterectomies).
What can a 20 year practicing LC learn at medical
school that will  enable her/him to diagnose and treat
a case of thrush that she doesn't already know?

The SofP statement makes the assumption that an HCP
(regardless of his or her experience with bf'g) is
smarter and more knowledgable about bf'g issues than
an LC?  There is only one way to interpet this... as
an affront.

If their own licensing body cannot stand behind LCs as
competent whats the point of the license?

If the S of P is allowed to stay as it is what we will
see in 20 years is that very few LC's will come from
different backgrounds other than RN, MD
backgrounds...I.e., you won't be a "real" LC without
the medical degree too...  and as many of you pointed
out, part of what makes LCs so effective is the many
knowledge bases/educational cultures from which we
evolve.

We can see this discussion as a bunch of dissatified
LCs complaining about having to "learn" more or,
instead, see it for what it REALLY is, a group of
empowered people standing up against the status quo
and saying, "NO WAY.  We are a LEGITIMATE profession.
We are going to protect our experitise and our wisdom
and our experience."

HCPs get it WRONG every day and to take away the
natural checks and balances of an LC/HCP relationship
is suicide.

 Juntos Somos Fuertes...

Georgia

=====
Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
~ Margaret Mead