From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:13:59 EST

Ann writes:

Have you  found PT to be effective for a baby  with
Torticolis who is having  several breastfeeding issues?  I had  suggested a
well
know  Cranial Sacral therapist, but instead the parents chose a  traditional
PT practice. They have been a couple of times and baby's neck seems   to be
improving, but still struggling with on and off of breast  throughout
feeding.
Mother says of PT practice, "they have no  idea about  breastfeeding."  This
baby
also had bad Refux which  interestingly seems to  have improved since parents
are breastfeeding  more and better.  However,  baby still does become very
fussy at  breast, very frequently.

~~ Ann, and all,
My original training was in PT, and I can tell you I learned nothing in PT
school about breastfeeding as normal, let alone when a baby or mother has
issues  with this norm. { That came from LLLI and my own children and others}
Traditional PT may be helpful with the torticollis itself, but I was talking to
an osteopath just this Sunday and she says she works with many babies in her
practice who have both reflux and torticollis, often so subtle that no one else
 has noted it, though sometimes the ped has. She explained why they are often
 related. In my not overly wide experience, CST people and osteopaths might
be  more likely to know about breastfeeding as a normal human behavior. I have
gone  to CST sessions as well as PT sessions with my little clients. Both can
be  helpful, but it may be more work educating the PT or OT or SLT about
breastfeeding as normal, and how to help a baby get there.

Just my thoughts,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA