From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:13:11 -0700
> ** Baby gets mad occasionally sucking on finger. What to do about the HUMP
> at the back of the tongue that comes up occasionally?

Kathleen, you've been pretty thorough.  I try to woo the baby with the
pacification suck training-- especially by putting the baby in the
"charm hold", which is baby prone on parent's forearm, with face hanging
out of the hand and the parent's other hand/finger doing the
pacification.  This position adds gravity to the mix and seems to help
encourage better tongue habits. Babies often really like this, once you
get the hang of it.  You usually have to stand and walk around while
doing this, and a little swaying can help woo the antsy one.

One other thought, though I'm not sure if it fits: sensory
defensiveness.  I hope Nancy Williams will speak up here and comment,
since she has some experience with this.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC
Santa Maria, CA