Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:46:55 EDT
I am still enjoying seeing my daughter's and grandson's interaction with the
medical community. She took him in yesterday for his 2 month  checkup (he's 3
months but was delayed due to the hurricane damage  and she really didn't see
any need to rush there). The ped wanted to know how long she is going to
breastfeed. She replied "as long as he wants to--the World Health Organization
recommends a minimum of 2 years". He then asked if she had started giving him rice
cereal. She told him no since the AAP recommends waiting until about 6 months
and at that time she didn't even plan on giving him rice cereal since it is
not a very nutritious food. She said she is planning on feeding him fruits, and
vegetables that are not artificially fortified. He then said that he wasn't
suggesting that she totally wean the baby from the breast, just supplement. She
didn't even reply. He then moved on to immunizations! When she said she was
going to use a delayed schedule and only have one immunization at a time ( and
not all of them) his reply was " I'm glad you're going to the Health Dept for
that and not coming to see me".  She is in a small town in an isolated area so
Peds are limited. She said she can deal with him  especially since Hunter
won't be going in too often since he is BF. She goes to a /mother/baby group in
that town and said she thought all of them are doing rice cereal in bottles,
even those who are BF.
So when we are wondering why the duration rate of BFing so is low, we again
need to look at our medical community's education and who influences that.
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
Eastern NC