From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:53:55 EST
Dear Brenda,
I have a few questions.  Why is the mother trying to use a pump to empty this
breast instead of the baby?  You stated that she finished the antibiotics but
did she rest?  Does she have other children and any help at home?  Why is her
doctor recommending binding the breast and applying heat?
I am also concerned that the mother states the affected breast nipple became
inverted after 2 weeks postpartum.  I don't want to think the worst but one of
the signs of breast cancer is a nipple that suddenly becomes inverted.  If
she has had swelling in the areola, this could make the nipple appear inverted
but this should not be seen for this length of time.
Why not just wean the right side?  If the left side has not been a problem
she could continue nursing on that side only.
Keep us posted.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA