From:
Regine Gresens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:35:24 +0200
(I have already send this to the list before but I think it didn't go
through. Therefore I'll try again.)

Dear lactnetters,
first of all I want to thank all those who answered my former questions
regarding HIV-infektion and breastfeeding. Based on the information I gave
to this woman, who is now 37weeks pregnant and has a noticable
HIV-antibodies for 10 years now and a very low virus load and an excellent
immun status, she is now planing to pump her milk and holder-pasteurize it
(perhaps for a year). She is taking retrovir right now to protect the baby
and will have a CS in 1,5 weeks. I also just talked to a pediatrician who is
willing prescribe a doublepump and  to look at the baby when they are home.
Only the clinicians still need to be convinced that this is safe and
practical, it seems they have never heard before of this possibility.
Also I would like to give this mother some more instructions how to best
handle the pumping and especially the pasteurization.
Therefore I would very much appreciate any information on the safety of
pasteurization, as it is recommended for milk banking. I tried to get the
guidelines for milk banks, but could not get a hold of, yet.
Also if anyone knows of a technique or a tool to safely  pasteurize at home,
I would be very thankful.
Or could anyone give me the name or eMail-address of a mother who has done
this too?
Last but not least someone mentioned to me that Marion Thompson of LLLI has
got some informal information for HIV-infected women. Unfortunately I could
not find out her eMail-address, I tried through LLL but never got an answer.
Please help fast since time runs, preferably by private eMail
TIA,
Regine Gresens, IBCLC
midwife and lactation consultant in private practice,
Hamburg, Germany