From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:02:12 EST

In a message dated 3/28/2006 1:24:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Finger  feeding...most babies appear to pattern very quickly on any method of
 artificial feeding.  I found this out the hard way many years ago.   I
rarely have Mom/Dad only FF for more than 24 - 48 hours.  I will  suggest
alternating cup feeds with paced bottle feeds and breast, with  or without  the NS,
and have great success with most of these determined  intelligent  little ones.

Ann,
This is helpful. I wish this baby had been able to eat in those other ways,
we tried cup feeding, and paced bottlefeeding, with no success. Baby also only
 even partially succeeded at breast with NS or without, when I was there for
some  reason, mom just couldn't get anything to work consistently except the
FF.  She  also refused to try the bottle at all, when I first recommended it as
 an option, thinking the finger feeder was as least part of a human being.
After  a hugely traumatic postpartum week for both mother and baby, I figure she
really  needed to exert some control over her relationship with her baby, and
with such  poor weight gain in the two weeks before I saw her, wanted
anything that the  baby would do consistently. With a tight,  type 3 type/4 tongue
tie, that  just wasn't much. I am very interested in your statement that you
don't use FF  as a tool for more than 24-48 hours. As a private practice LC with
no hospital  resources, the mothers I work with have to buy the FF for
themselves, is this a  tool your hospital provides for free? I would think spending
so much money on  something one uses for a day or two might be a issue, just
wondering how you  deal with this.
Thanks so much for your response.
As an update, since some of you asked for that, the baby is now doing paced
bottlefeeds, though still needs a lot of coaxing,  waiting, helping, and with
some constistency since yesterday. I know  this mom and babe, and I know I
could be hearing something totally different  tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who is
giving input.

Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, NY, USA