Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:23:42 EST
Using both Riordan/Auerbach and Marie Biancuzzo's books for reference it appears to me that we should see prolactin levels from 100-400ng/ml at term. I interpret that to mean we should see levels this high initially, within the first week as long as the baby is going to breast, regardless when the level was drawn. Prolactin levels will drop with time but I didn't think it was that early on. Later on levels will rise, not to the original 100-400, but over normal, during the feeding or ~45 minutes after the begining of the feeding depending on your reference. I have only checked one other mom's level and that was 10 days post partum, she had not pumped recently(she had a preemie), and her level was over 200. Maybe my thinking is incorrect?
This current mom has normal appearing breasts/nipples and thyroid levels were normal. She did report that she did not feel any changes during her pregnancy. I did not work with her with the first two children, just this last one.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas!
Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA