From:
Susan Betz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:51:20 -0500
One of my 2 3/4 twin daughters has a severe peanut allergy.  I ate a
lot of peanut butter while pregnant and for the first two months of her
life, until I developed chronic blisters on my nipples and was advised
to cut out peanut butter and chocolate by my LC.

I recall incessant crying from those early months and I'm not sure in
hindsight how much was due to the fact that two babies were crying and
how much was due to other factors.  I do remember thinking often that
Dylan's cries sounded like she was in pain.  These cries ended
eventually, but I can't pinpoint where, and it might have been related
to getting peanut butter out of my diet.

Since peanut is so easily omitted from the diet, it seems better to err
on the side of caution on this one.  If a mom wants the convenience of
a spreadable protein, health food stores usually stock almond butter,
cashew butter, and sunflower seed butter. Hummus and other bean dips
are also good sources of protein when combined with whole grains.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this reliance on peanut butter
pretty much retricted to the US?
Susan Betz