From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:49:24 -0600
I can't resist jumping in on the recent thread on pumps and
contamination.  Anyone without experience with pumps could ask a pump
company rep to visit them (or talk at a conference when the table is not
busy) and see how the pumps work. Studies from the 1980's that "prove"
potential for cross-contamination from electric breast pumps are FLAWED
in several ways. Cross contamination can occur only when contaminated
milk is aspirated into a pump and the milk remains "live." Only then can
potential contamination occur. The study that I always got thrown in my
face used a kit that was improperly assembled so that the overflow
bottle to protect the pump was not connected.
ALL new breast pump kits (Hospital grade electric accessory kits)
contain a filter or type of barrier so that does not happen. Even in the
case of a PNS being used, if the milk inside the motor is dry, no
contamination can really occur. Are we worried about dried blood? Are we
worried about dried milk? Even if it was teeming with organisms when
"live" should we be afraid of it? There are many good resources that
explain how pumps really work; check out Marsha Walker's articles in
MCN, the chapter in Riordan & Auerbach (which I believe was co-authored
by Marsha) and Kittie Frantz's "breastfeeding product guide." I still
think that there is a need for conference sessions to address how pumps
work for those who are new to the field. The best education I ever
received was by attending a UCLA course(s) (CLE) where Kittie
demonstrated almost every pump & device on the market at the time. Those
sessions were the inspiration for her book.
Hoping that this will create clarity, not confrontation
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL near Chicago