From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:03:17 -0500
Who would lose if this mom had the option of taking unpaid leave of absence?
I didn't read the article, just the posting to Lactnet, but didn't it
mention that other branches of the military allow LOA for extended
maternity? I got the impression (maybe I am incorrect) that this woman
wasn't asking to quit, just to have leave while she has a breastfeeding
infant at home.

It seems that we, of all groups, should be putting the needs of the infant
first -- as we discuss the costs invested in training this woman, we should
think of the cost implications of formula feeding "army brats." As a pilot,
this woman could be grounded if she had health reasons (the need to take
most medications, for instance). So granting leaves is not unheard of.

We do (as a society) keep selling the Superwoman ideal. I doubt this is
going to change. My sense is that we need to find those places where humane
change needs to be negotiated (such as providing leaves for mothers who need
to breastfeed) and help effect those changes.

My .02 from this soapbox.
Climbing down...whew...I need some oxygen...

Margery Wilson, IBCLC
(from a family with many pilots, some military)