From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:21:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2005 9:29:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Continues to  rain in the medical intervention field of   birthing....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051012/ap_on_he_me/chilling_babies

Dear Friends:
    This article adds more fuel to the war on  babies, mothering, and
breastfeeding. The attack on kangaroo care has now begun;  according to this article,
stressed newborns should be refrigerated instead  of held skin-to-skin! I
know, from my adult intensive care experience, that  cooling an injured person
reduces the brain's need for energy and fuel; however,  the thought of chilling
newborns upsets me.
     Evidence (unpopular evidence, politically  incorrect evidence) shows
that birth has an impact on some personality choices.  I am thinking of the
Jacobsen and Salk and Huttori research showing that certain  acts and conditions
can be associated with birth practices. (There is more  research than this, see
the Primal Health Data Bank (_www.birthworks.org/primalhealth_
(http://www.birthworks.org/primalhealth) )
    What will the impact of chilling newborns at birth  on their whole lives?
As the use of birth technology is epidemic now, at least  in the US, there
are plenty of stressed newborns that would, according to this  developing
framework, benefit by being chilled.
    The new AAP policy will reduce breastfeeding even  further; Helen Ball,
in her study published in Birth in 2003 or 2004, made the  conclusion that
keeping babies out of parents beds works against breastfeeding  promotion. When
milk flows, mothers and babies get sleepy.
    I shudder to think that the impact of the AAP  policy will be more babies
dying of crib death, with less breastfeeding,  less sleeping with mothers and
more formula use because mothers are being  taught to be afraid of sleeping
with their babies. When milk flows, mothers and  babies get sleepy; this is a
way of saying that they should sleep!
    What more can 'science' do to us?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child  Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal  of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com