Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:47:33 EDT
<< There are people in other support areas (WIC and LLL
 for example-not to disparage either of those groups) who have less experience
 than I and no credentials-dispensing BF help of all kinds.

My understanding is that La Leche League Leaders are "accredited".  The term
"Leader" is to mean that a woman underwent a specific accreditation precess
in order to become a Leader.  Not every woman is approved to become a La
Leche League Leader.   I do know that there are Leaders who have been active
in the organization for over 30 years, having counseled literally thousands
of women.

A La Leche League Leader in her correct capacity does not dispense "BF help
of all kinds"; she shares LLLI approved sources of information.  There are
very specific guidelines that are followed in order to assure that mothers
are receiving up-to-date and correct information.  This is the best "kind" of
information to receive.

It should also be noted that many, many IBCLCs are LLL Leaders.  I believe
that many of them would agree that the sources of information that they rely
on in either capacity are very much the same, ie, BAB, Ruth Lawrence,
Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, etc.

For more information, please refer to the Leader Accreditation Department
information found at the LLLI website:  http://www.lalecheleague.org.

Ruth Scuderi
Westfield, MA