Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:25:31 +0100
>  The
>poor mother was very angry at her surgeon as he promised her she would
>be able to breastfeed after surgery.

I'd love to see someone sue.....

In the UK, we are going through a period in which doctors are being
told their era 'as God' is now over. There have been a number of
cases in which doctors have been shown to be at best dangerously
high-handed and arrogant, and at worst criminal....and the common
factor in all of them is that their colleagues, and their patients,
had uncomfortable feelings about them, and in a few cases actually
suspected what was going on. But they didn't dare say anything.

Clearly, these are isolated, individual cases and the majority of
doctors do not behave like this....I'm not doctor bashing : )...but
one doctor was known as 'the butcher' to all the nurses, apparently.
One woman bled to death through his negligence when he was practising
in Canada, and he was struck off.  He came to the UK and continued
his 'techniques' and it appears other women also died.

Only when we get rid of these crazy hierarchies and deference will
healthcare professionals be able to 'blow the whistle' on
bad/dangerous practice....and a few more women suing might
concentrate minds.

It is dreadful when someone's ability to bf is taken away like this -
why should the surgeon not have to face the music, not as a
punishment, especially, but 'pour encourager les autres' .

Medics are always saying they live in a litigous society, but I don't
see it myself!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Feeling cross because a mother with crystal clear signs of thrush has
called me to say her doctor refuses to prescribe any anti-fungals to
her and/or her baby, saying 'it's not allowed'....because baby is
symptom free and systemic anti-fungals are not licensed for lactating
mothers in the UK. Of course it's allowed...