From:
Beth Sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 11:27:35 EDT
I know that there has been a thread in the past several days related to
seizure medications and breastfeeding, but I have just received a call from a
new mom that is a little different from what is being discussed right now. I
tried the archives and couldn't find any entries that were truly apropos. So,
I hope that someone can help us out here.
Mom has been on phenobarbitol for the past 7 years, since her first and only
grand mal seizure. She has continued to experience petit mal seizures, usually
due to fatigue and/or low blood sugar. She continued phenobarb throughout her
pregnancy, is currently on 120mgs/day. Baby was full term, very sleepy, still
quite drowsy at age 7 days. Her neurologist and their ped have recommended
half breastfeeding and half ABM as a feeding strategy (?). She wants to do the
best thing for her baby and really wants to breastfeed, if it is possible. Any
advice?