From:
Lisa Lostetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:13:25 -0600
Dear Lara,

Thank you for your reply. These are all really helpful suggestions.  I
appreciate all of the suggestions that I received, both here and
privately.  I will bring these ideas to the house manager and see what she
says.

Unfortunately, alternative accomodations are not possible for most of the
moms at this time.  I would prefer *not* to go over the house manager's
head, but that is certainly a possibility if she rejects all of the new
ideas that I will present and does not offer any alternatives of her own.

Again, my thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your ideas with
me!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Combination locks instead of keyed locks would address this perceived
problem, and make things quicker and easier for the mothers. Perhaps
your unit could consider supplying these, then it's none of the
manager's business.

Alternatively, how about an "it's not food, it's medicine" approach?
Would this management also deny in-room refrigeration for people who
needed to store insulin safely and accessibly? Perhaps hospital
healthcare staff could provide the relevant prescription paperwork.

In-room portable coolers are another option, but ice management will be
a bit of a pain, and the adverse relationship with this hostile
management will remain unresolved. If the situation is unresolvable, can
you go above this house manager's head? I'm guessing that alternative
accommodation is not possible at this time?

Lara Hopkins