From:
Beth Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 07:21:55 -0700
Hello,

There has been recent discussion, including today, about various aid
organizations including bottle and milk powder for emergency
distribution.  Maybe I am not well enough informed.  But it would seem that
it makes complete sense for this to be the practice.  In an emergency, they
can't "poll" the population in need of aid to find out who may or may not
be breast-feeding.  Is it the opinion of those of you who have a beef with
this that babies who are NOT already being breast-fed at such time should
starve?????   Or even babies who ARE currently breast-feeding may be
separated from their mothers, or the mothers may be sick and dehydrated and
unable to have them nurse.  As far as the inclusion of the powder and
bottles being taught to children, why shouldn't it be?   Maybe they should
be told the obvious, which is that the powder is for if the baby's mom
can't breast-feed the child.  But for many, formula is just as necessary in
an emergency aid distribution as the essentials for adults!  In an
emergency situation, like the recently referred to thread about aid going
to Tsunami victims, the goal should be saving lives and helping people stay
somewhat healthy.  And while even in an emergency "breast is best" and
perfect, that is not the time for us breast-feeding advocates to be on a
crusade.  It is a time to want the babies saved in whatever means it takes
for that to happen.  It seems very clear to me.  What am I missing that
makes the professionals on this list so up and arms about this practice?  I
don't mean to stir the waters.  I just don't follow the argument against this!

Beth Fitzpatrick,RN, mother of 6, including 18 month old nursling
"When in despair, remember that all through history the way of truth and
love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time
they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall." Gandhi