Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:52:17 -0800
Mary Kay Smith, RN, IBCLC wrote:

>I had thrush in my mouth (for the second or third time) about eight years
>ago after some dental work - minor - but it was during a very stressful time in
>my life. It hurt to drink water! I had not been on abx recently and couldn't
>think of any other reason why or how I got it.
>I'm not sure nystatin (liquid?) 4x a day is enough. I remember taking
>something orally but also sucked on Myclex lozenges every other hour. It took
>nearly three weeks to go away.
>I'd adjust dosages based on the child's weight and give it at least every
>two-three hours while awake for at least 10 days.

I agree with this... can someone with a desk reference check for dosage?
She weighs 56 pounds.

Someone wisely asked about immune issues.  There are none of which I am
aware. In terms of medical history, she did have ovarian cysts last year
(at 5 1/2 years old), which caused premature puberty.  Cysts dissolved
on their own and all symptoms but small breast buds have gone away (she
menstruated once).  No stress (beyond life) at this time, no fever, just
this lingering cold and cough, mostly at night.  She is very healthy,
tall for her age (some of which is natural height, some of which might
have been caused by the premature surge of hormones from the cysts
dissolving, which can cause growth spurts, but that likely will not
effect her overall growth pattern too much because it was for a short
period of time) and is very definitely a high need, highly active, "only
time she's still is when she's sleeping" child.  She's had antibiotics I
think twice, but one time it was ear drops, not oral.  The last time was
years ago, I can't even remember when, at least two years.   She has
been eating and drinking normally, no problems with diet, even through
this cold.

Anyway, just a bit strange to see thrush in a non-nursing child with no
history of corticoid steroid use or antibiotic use or auto immune
disorder.  I guess I've always told mothers that I've never had thrush
so my knowledge was purely book learning, not experience.. can't say
that now.

Joylyn