From:
Sue Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:02:03 -0400
Hello,

I work with American Indians/Alaska Native (AI/AN) families with Indian
Health Service (US DHSS) in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.  We are using
breastfeeding as a diabetes risk intervention. Our families have a large
prevalence of type 2 diabetes - 1/2 of our adult population have diabetes.
On a nearby Pima reservation, Gila River Indian Community, the prevalence
is 80% (eighty) by age 55, the world's highest rate according to National
Institutes of Health (NIH). The basis for using breastfeeding to reduce
diabetes risk is from aN NIH study done among the Pimas.  The NIH study
showed that 2 months or longer of breastfeeding significantly reduced risk
of diabetes by age 40 (Pettitt, 1997).

Studies have also suggested that breastfeeding reduces risk of obesity, a
major risk factor for diabetes. Because overfeeding formula and fear of
inadequate intake can be part of early feeding, we use a tool inspired by
Sandra Steffes (thank you, Sandra!)to demonstrate stomach size. It is a
hazel nut (birth, about 5-10 cc) and walnut (1 week, about 30 cc). The nuts
are drilled, lacquered, and strung on a string or leather thong with beads
and an explanation card.  It is a good hands on project for in-services and
works well with new families.

I have looked for clinical documentation about stomach size, without
success. However, with huge rates of obesity, diabetes, and diabetes
complications - like kidney failure, heart disease, amputation, impotency,
etc no one complains about a demonstration tool that could slow the tidal
wave down.

Please let me know if more information would be helpful - like how to drill
holes without cracking the nut, articles about bf and dm, etc.

Thanks,

Sue Murphy, RD, MPH, CDE, IBCLC
Phoenix Indian Medical Center
4212 N. 16th St.
Phoenix, AZ  85016

PS Since 1999, we have had a 12% increase in families breastfeeding at 2
months! There is hope.