Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:24:48 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Marketing is insidious.  The reps that are chosen are the most friendly and personable possible.  They hook up the idea of friendship with the rep as equal to quality of the product.  Reminds of the movie Jerry McGuire!  Companies are not people they don't care about people, they care about survival and profits.  Are we surprised?  And get this:  governments don't care about people either.  They are in it for power and survival.  The only people that care about people are people.  Individuals.  If your moral code says that you are responsible for your neighbor, you will get to know your neighbor and know whether your neighbor needs a hug or a kick in the pants.  If you believe that companies,  governments and people without a moral code to live by  are going to do the right thing, you are living in Pollyanna-land!  Just my 0.2 worth.  I am close to signing off Lactnet permanently.  I've seen a lot in my 44 years in the nursing profession and the more I see, the more I'm convinced of my opinion!    Someone has to be constantly on the alert to blow the whistle on violations of previously agreed upon boundaries.  Yesterday I found 2 boxes of Enfamil materials in the childbirth classroom.  I called housekeeping to put them in the trash! 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pat Young

Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:54 AM

Subject: Re: Yet another topic to discuss :(

On 12/12/13, Alla Gordina MD, IBCLC, FAAP wrote:

http://womensenews.org/story/reproductive-health/131210/formula-marketers-put-pediatric-academy-in-the-bag#.UqlKDNJDscY

Mead Johnson, Nestle, and Ross are usually front and center at the AAP's national (and local) meetings with the biggest booths possible and are considered by many (otherwise very well educated, progressive and open

minded) pediatricians as "supportive of breastfeeding".

I am not sure about 2013, but in the previous years Nestle was sponsoring lanyards officially given at the AAP national conferences at the time of registration and a lot of attendees were choosing colorful soft Nestle lanyards rather then the simple black thin ropes provided by the Academy as an alternative :(

Just wondering - how many hospitals in NJ are giving out "gift" bags?

I know that St. Peter's and Robert Wood Johnson are not...

Alla

--

Alla Gordina, MD, IBCLC, FAAP

General Pediatrics

Breastfeeding Medicine

Adoption and Foster Care Medicine

Global Pediatrics and Family Medicine

NJ Breastfeeding Medicine Educational Initiative

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2