From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:33:11 -0800
Interesting that just yesterday I spent all morning entering a lot of new
information into a set of National Child Care Nutrition Standards I'm part
of a team that was asked to review them...but this will take AGES to go
through the process and get the information to the centers...They are being
reviewed by a lot of people - dietitians, etc., as they are standards for
care for children of all ages.  I did try to add "cue feeding"  and "human
milk, donor milk" as the FIRST choice instead of formula.  I used the HMBANA
guidelines to create a chart rather than the complex instructions in the
body of the document.  I'm also trying to avoid the use of any
industry-developed materials <grin>.

For mother's sake at this time I would recommend they ALWAYS take their milk
home - otherwise it is true that the centers have it in their regulations
(until these are approved) to pitch the milk...

I also would like to remind you that some of these centers serve a large
number of children - they need to clean out their refrigerators and get
things ready for the next day.  One way to avoid mix-ups (and don't get me
started on the HIV issues in those guidelines) is to take your milk home and
make sure all labels are clear.  I realize that this could be a problem for
moms using public transportation or traveling far as you need to keep it
COLD - but it's the best way to keep your milk SAFE.

If this is a small agency that is run by reasonable people, perhaps speaking
to the director?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN,PHN, IBCLC
California, USA