Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:14:58 +0200
>Dear Collegues,
>I wanted to follow up with the mom I posted a week  or two ago. She
>states her baby feeds frequently and feels he may not get enough fat
>in her milk to satisfy him. I did suggest she add olive oil and a
>good Omega 3 fish oil in her diet as well

My understanding is that adding fat to the mother's diet will not
make any difference to the level of fat in the milk.

>as block feeding one side until the other side fills to see if this helps.

This is likely to reduce the volume of milk made and taken by the
baby though - block feeding is a useful tactic in cases of
over-supply.....I don't get why it would increase the baby's
satisfaction unless over supply is having the effect of making the
baby miserable or hard to feed.

>  This is the correspondence I have received  from her. Maybe you can
>help me guide her better.
>She has not had any weight loss surgeries. He was 7lbs. 11 oz. at
>birth and 7lbs. 6 ounces at discharge. This is her second baby and
>she said she had the same problem with that baby. He was born on
>4/27/11. His last weight on May 18, and weight was 9lbs. 11.8oz.

This is well within normal - I don't have charts with me at the
moment, but it sounds a very healthy weight gain :)

>  This is the described feeding pattern 12:19-12:34, 12:45-12:51,
>1:10-1:21, 2:10-2.35, then the other side, 2:58-3:15, 3:30-3:39,
>3:59--4:11, while doing block feeding , nursing more like every hour
>during the day occassionally 2-3 hours gap once and then every 2
>hours at night.

This is all normal, too, though I think actual lengths of feeds are
somewhat irrelevant.

Perhaps this mother would be helped with support to recognise how
well her baby is doing, and yes, I agree baby wearing is a good idea.
I don;t see a problem with the feeding or the milk, though.

She'd probably be helped by meeting other bf mothers as well, for
social support and encouragement.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--