From:
"Susan L. Brault" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:50:30 -0800
Hi, all...this mom is 3 weeks postpartum c/section with an abscess in her
abdomen diagnosed today. the MD is using Flagyl 900 mg IV Q8 hrs which has
been changed to 500 mg IV Q8 hrs, Clindamycin 900 mg IV Q8 hrs, Ancef 1GM
IV Q 8 hrs, and Mepergan Fortis 1 - 2 oral Q 3 hrs as needed (amoung other
pain meds). I know the Clindamycin and Ancef are OK, and I've had other
docs OK with Flagyl. The Mepergan Fortis is a Demerol family member as I
understand. This doc has said that if the blood cultures are positive to
discard the milk. The parents are worried about the Flagyl.

So here's my question: any definite word on a positive blood culture and
continuing to give the breastmilk? Any more concrete info on Flagyl than
what's in Hale 2000 (specifically Flagyl IV?) And may I assume that since
Mepergan is related to Demerol that the Percocet is the better choice for
pain?

I don't mean to start philosophical discussion on this; I need concrete
info for parents. I'm also going to the archives (but that's slow going for
me!) as we wait for concrete info the parents are saving pumped milk.
Breastfeeding has been without a glitch till this. Very sick mom; very
motivated (and tired) parents.

thanks, Susan RN, HB-IBCLC in So OR